Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Green Bags

Is the Woolworths green bag the new black? What is up with that sucker? It’s everywhere, it’s adaptable, it’s functional, it’s an environmental emancipator, it is a clear statement from those who ceremoniously tote them and have something to say about plastic bags but also enjoy its multipurpose. It’s loathsome to me simply in terms of the great number of them and the fact that they are green?? Eww. Apparently there are around 15 million at least, being hefted, hauled and ferried over arms and shoulders, up hills and down dales. That’s a lot of green. With a current population of 22,393,575, that works out to be 1.5 (close enough) each person, and I’m thinking probably not a lot of people under 16 would carry them. I mean, Come ON!!!




I dislike them because they are as everywhere as they can possibly be. I do not have an aversion to their purpose, merely the fact that they are now an accessory for each and every human being in this country. They are at the park, the football and the beach, they come with friends to my house brimming with children’s clothes, an odd bottle of wine, kitchen sink, small pet and snacks.


“So handy,” people mutter.


“Aren’t they? Mmm.”


I have to admit I have about 3,000 give or take, in the boot of my car because I always forget to take them in to Woollies. I think it’s a subconsciously deliberate and socially unacceptable move on my part even though I certainly don’t agree with the use of plastic and naturally approve of the saving of $173 mill to our national yearly shopping bill, yet I wonder does the average person know what they are made out of? Yes, they are used more than once meaning we are no longer using close to 11 billion plastic bags per annum but I also want to know where they are made. What grave yard will these end up in one day if they are not returned to the supermarkets that offer the recycle service and what then will happen to our environment? Are we just 'going to hell in a hand basket' or is the green going to save our bacon? These are things that keep me up at night. It’s not easy being green, it’s also not attractive.

Go green yes, but do it in another colour please!

Woolies Green Bags

1 comments:

www.teller2teller.com said...

I HATE THESE BAGS!!!! But I LOVED this post!!
The worst thing is that I use them for the shopping (obviously) but I try to by coloured ones - but everytime I manage to get a new colour my partner takes it!! He doesnt like the old "green bag" either - but is more than happy to drag a purple one over his shoulder any time!!

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...good or bad!