Sunday, June 27, 2010

OMG it’s Txt Talk LMAO


SMS, or short message standard. It’s not the brand new communication method but it is here to stay. My phone beeps the standard I just got a text message beep and my 2 year old says, “Mummy, te-ext”. Now that’s sad isn’t it?


It’s handy, it’s annoying, it saves time, is quicker than e-mail and it saves talking to people on the phone if you are not a phone person, like me. I h8 the phone but I <3 to txt, it’s g8. I was and on occasion still am, (much to my complete horror), one of those people who calls the world while drunk. I get bored chatting on the phone so I avoid it and instead text, Facebook or e-mail or do it while I am intoxicated. It is even easier to text than dial and chat while tipsy and I have been guilty of waking up with hangover and grabbing the mobile which is for some reason not 5 cms away from me and check the sent messages...very gingerly and in colossal fear.


Is texting wrecking our language? Well there’s a question. My opinion is that as long as it isn’t acceptable to use in school papers or in any other vehicle other than text via mobile or chat, it shouldn’t matter. Slang in one form or another has been used since the dawn of time. People are always going to take short cuts or embellish language in one mode or another. I guess the difficulty is that parents are unable to decipher the codes their kids are using when they are checking to make sure they are safe online or on mobile from the possible evils of society. There are forums however for parents to keep up with language used.


Texting while driving is so common. I see it every day. Looking to the left or right of me while on the road, I often see someone clutching their phone one handed pressing buttons and glancing every now and then at the road. I have even been pushed off the road by a texter while he swerved across my white line holding up a hand in apology only to present the culprit in question. I have performed the same myself at traffic lights, never while driving. The reason I haven’t is probably only because I saw a show on Oprah (embarrassing to admit and while clearly not myself, lol) once where a 19 year old girl was now a quadriplegic simply because she was texting and driving and had an accident. She had never admitted it until the Oprah show.


Recently there has been research released after a ten year study declaring that speaking on mobile phones without a hearing device can lead to brain tumours, particularly with younger people. Kids are now being encouraged to text for that very reason.


Texting etiquette. I can’t stand the person who doesn’t text back. It’s just plain rude. Even an ‘ok’ will do, even if it isn’t immediate. I mean how freaking hard is that? The other thing I can’t stand is being telephoned after I have texted. I text someone, I want a text reply. Not a bloody call...that’s why I texted. If I wanted to chat I would have phoned mo fo.


So with that said, get on the bndwgn, say wtf, I’ll b in it 2.

BRB with my next post!

Text is best, this is why!

sms and abbreviations

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...good or bad!